Can’t find a prescription?
We’ve had feedback that patients feel like they’re “caught in the crossfire” when an electronic prescribing goes missing and they feel like they get bounced between the practice and the pharmacy.
The prescription tracker should be the solution to this problem:
Before you contact the GP practice or send the patient back to the surgery, remember you can now use the prescription tracker to search for an electronic prescription. The prescription tracker allows you to check the status and history of electronic prescriptions.
If the prescription cannot be found, then at that point please contact the GP Practice.
The most up to date information on the prescription tracker can be found on the NHS Digital website:
There is also useful information on the PSNC website at,
but for the latest information on the prescription tracker, please refer to the NHS Digital website as this has the latest information.
Both community pharmacies and GP practices access the same prescription tracker.
NHS Digital Prescription Tracker Factsheet for Dispensers
Can we help you save staff time, save on your practice prescribing budget AND keep patients safer than ever?
Try out the new NECS Model Repeat Prescribing System from the Prescribing Processes workstream. This comprehensive resource is packed full of practical ideas, designed to help you and your practice develop robust, safe and efficient procedures. It brings together legislation and best practice for all aspects of repeat prescribing, while allowing for local flexibility based on the needs of your own patients and staff.
- Flow charts to demonstrate information flow through the system, from start to finish.
- Comprehensive, tried-and-tested advice on how to set up or develop your repeat prescribing system.
- Case studies of real-life scenarios to test out your practice’s policies and procedures.
- Targeted nationally and regionally accredited resources.
- Support to review your repeat prescribing system with an audit checklist and summary sheet.
In order to share best practice across NECS, we are keen to get feedback on how the resource can be implemented in practice. Please let us know your ideas and experiences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Model Repeat Prescribing System (1082 downloads)
Electronic repeat dispensing (eRD) is an integral part of EPS, which offers many extra benefits over paper repeat dispensing and repeat prescribing.
- two-thirds of prescriptions issued in primary care are repeat prescriptions. These repeat prescriptions account for nearly 80 per cent of NHS medicine costs for primary care
- 410 million repeat prescriptions are generated every year – equivalent to an average of more than 375 per GP per week
- it’s estimated that up to 330 million, or 80 per cent, of all repeat prescriptions could eventually be replaced with eRD
- this could save 2.7 million hours of GP and practice time
NHS Digital have recently published an Electronic Repeat Dispensing Toolkit, available at https://digital.nhs.uk/article/913/Electronic-repeat-dispensing-for-prescribers which contains useful tools. You can also sign up for some eRD webinars to find out more.
The toolkit includes an e-learning package, developed by NECS in conjunction with NHS Digital which can also be accessed through the NECS Medicines website https://medicines.necsu.nhs.uk/education-training/erd-elearning/