This programme has been developed by the NECS Medicines Optimisation Team, using best practice guidance and evidence based reviews, and has been designed to help primary care prescribers consider:
- Strategies to help optimize prescribing of antibiotics
- Why antimicrobial stewardship is important at a personal, local and global level
This programme examines the NICE guideline recommendations on antimicrobial stewardship, specifically the actions required by commissioning and provider organisations, service managers and local decision-making groups to ensure that effective antimicrobial stewardship programmes are in place and that prescribers are supported to make changes to their use of antimicrobials where necessary.
The TARGET (Treat Antibiotics Responsibly, Guidance, Education, Tools) antibiotic toolkit, produced by the RCGP, provides education for groups of primary care staff or individual clinicians. The toolkit aims to help decrease barriers to appropriate antibiotic prescribing, change social norms around prescribing, and influence clinicians’ and patients’ personal attitudes to antibiotic resistance and use.
- TARGET antibiotic webinar series
- TARGET antibiotic resistance in primary care online course
- Skin infections online course
- MARTI Managing Acute Respiratory Tract Infections
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Managing infectious diarrhoea
- Sexual Health in Primary Care
- STAR: Stemming the Tide of Antibiotic Resistance