We would like to tell you about the Newcastle Gateshead CCG Medicines and Pathways Committee, who we are, our functions, how often we meet, and what work we need to know about/be involved with.
The membership of the committee consists of:
CCG staff – Neil Morris, Medical Director (Chair); Chris Piercy, Director of Nursing (Vice Chair); Amy Gall, Nicola Weaver and Chris Jewitt, GP prescribing leads; Jackie Cairns, Director of Commissioning; Julia Young, Director of Quality Development; Jill McGrath, Head of Finance; Phil Taylor, GP.
NECS staff – Sarah Tulip, Steve Llewellyn and Helen Seymour, Medicines Optimisation Pharmacists, Janine Ogilvie, Service Planning and Reform.
Invited guests – for example Pharmicus, clinicians, other NECS and CCG staff.
The Medicines and Pathways Committee meets every two months and reports to the Newcastle Gateshead CCG Quality, Safety and Risk Committee (a sub-committee of the CCG Governing Board). The main functions of the Medicines and Pathways committee are to:
- Provide assurance to the CCG executive on all medicines optimisation issues.
- Make decisions on behalf of the Newcastle Gateshead CCG based on the recommendations of the Gateshead Medicines Management Committee and the North of Tyne Area Prescribing Committee.
- Determine which pathways, guidelines and medicines (outside of NICE) will be used by the CCG.
- Consider the commissioning and financial implications of implementation of NICE guidance and technology appraisals, and other local guidelines and pathways related to both medicines and non-medicines.
- Undertake horizon scanning to provide a connection with commissioning intentions.
- Consider the use of high-cost drugs.
Please let us know about any work you are planning or involved in which related to any of the above so we can feed it into these meetings. We would also like to invite you to come along to the meeting if you would like to or feel it is appropriate. If you are unsure, please let us know.
We have another smaller Newcastle Gateshead CCG Medicines Optimisation group which meets monthly and consists of the Medical Director (Chair) – Neil Morris, the GP prescribing leads for the CCG, medicines optimisation pharmacists from NECS and Pharmicus. This group’s main function is to discuss operational aspects of medicines optimisation for example, the prescribing engagement scheme and looking at practices’ prescribing performance.
Neil Morris, Medical Director, Newcastle Gateshead CCG
Sarah Tulip, Medicines Optimisation Pharmacist, NECS