Prescribing information has been updated to help to minimise the risk of serious adverse reactions in patients with cardiac disease.
Advice for healthcare professionals:
- hyoscine butylbromide injection can cause serious adverse effects including tachycardia, hypotension, and anaphylaxis
- these adverse effects can result in a fatal outcome in patients with underlying cardiac disease, such as those with heart failure, coronary heart disease, cardiac arrhythmia, or hypertension
- hyoscine butylbromide injection should be used with caution in patients with cardiac disease
- monitor these patients, and ensure that resuscitation equipment, and personnel who are trained how to use this equipment, are readily available
- hyoscine butylbromide injection remains contraindicated in patients with tachycardia