Prescribing information has been updated to introduce a lower recommended dose of 60 mg daily for patients with rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis.
MHRA advice for healthcare professionals:
- the cardiovascular and other important risks of etoricoxib (Arcoxia) may increase with dose and duration of exposure. Therefore, the lowest effective daily dose should be used, and the need for treatment should be regularly reassessed
- the recommended dose is 60 mg once daily
- in patients with insufficient relief from symptoms, an increased dose of 90 mg once daily may improve efficacy
- once the patient is clinically stabilised, down-titration to 60 mg once daily may be appropriate
- in the absence of therapeutic benefit, other treatment options should be considered