The UK Government & Public Health England have highlighted that emerging evidence from China shows smokers with COVID-19 are 14 times more likely to develop severe respiratory disease.
Quitting now may reduce risk for individuals and those exposed to second-hand smoke. Public Health England note the following immediate and short-term benefits:
- After 48 hours
- Carbon monoxide is eliminated from the body.
- Lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.
- After 72 hours
- Breathing becomes easier
- Bronchial tubes begin to relax
- After 2 to 12 weeks
- Blood circulation improves
- Physical activity like walking and running is easier