NECS Medicines Optimisation and the Centre for Pharmacy Postgraduate Education (CPPE) jointly held a Primary Care Conference in the Marriott Hotel, Gateshead in October 2014 focused on getting evidence into practice.
Professor Neal Maskrey Consultant Clinical Adviser, Medicines and Prescribing Centre, NICE delivered the morning session which was extremely stimulating, and challenged the audience to reconsider how we make decisions with patients.
This event incorporated learning and shared best practice around the following areas:
- Decision making considerations in primary care
- The realities of information overload
- Implementation of the NICE Atrial Fibrillation guideline
- Challenges inherent in medicines optimisation (as opposed to medicines management)
The afternoon session was comprised of workshops sessions on
- Atrial Fibrillation delivered by Michelle Liddy and Louise Picton (NICE)
- COPD delivered by Lorraine Crawford (CPPE).
- Antibiotics delivered by Dr Tamsin Oswald (Consultant Microbiologist, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust),
And concluded with a series of ‘speed dating’ sessions sharing the good work which is going on in our region.
For more information on the conference including key slides from the presentations and workshops, please visit the Medicines Optimisation website.